Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dublin

Sorry I haven't updated you guys in a while- I had classes Monday-Wed, and we left for Dublin Wednesday afternoon. We took the bus from Galway from Dublin, which was just under 3 hours of travel- not bad at all! When we got to Dublin, I surprised at how massive the city was. There are not many high rises, but there are a tone of historical buildings, and the River Liffey runs right through the middles of the city, which is absolutely beautiful.

On Wednesday evening we checked into our hostel and then started walk downtown. We passed a pub called the Arlington Hotel, and decided to go in. It was really cool, it seemed almost like a library style pub. There was a traditional Irish band, and then river dancers, which were so fun to watch- I loved it! I'm beginning to realize that I know a lot of the songs they are playing since I have been in Ireland for a month now. I have also noticed that they LOVE Johnny Cash. Every band I have heard here has played atleast one Johnny Cash song.

On Thursday Brooke and I got up, and begin to explore Dublin City. We did a TON of walking, but I really enjoyed it. We have learned how to bundle up, since it is still winter here. Leggings under the jeans, two pairs of socks, two shirts, a pullover, jacket, scarf, mittens, and hat. That day we walked through Trinity College, which is in the heart of downtown, and established in 1598. We then walked over past city hall, and through Dublin Castle. Dublin Castle was not exactly what I expected, but it was still beautiful. It seemed more like a large parliment building rather than a castle. We then walked through St. Patrick's Cathedral park. There were artists everywhere sketching the Cathedral. About two blocks away was Christ's Church. It was an old stone church, that had a sky bridge structure arching over the road, which was really cool to see. Afterward we talked over to the other side of town to go to the National Museum of Ireland. It was an incredible museum, that was actually free to the public. I saw a lot of artifacts that had been discussed in my Castles class, and also was able to link artifacts from significant events that we have talked about in my 19th century history class as well.

On Thursday night, Brooke and I decided that we wanted to go to Whelans Pub, the pub in which P.S. I Love You was filmed. We went inside, and began to realize how much of a small world it was.... Phil Vassar, a U.S. country artist was playing! I have listened to him for years, and Brooke loves country music too, so we were both excited. We got to sit right upfront, and there were probably about 150 people in the pub so it wasn't too packed. It was a great show! Afterward we asked the guitarist if we could get a picture with him, and he politely did so, and then said "hey you girls should stick around, I would love to buy you a drink". Before we knew it, we were sitting down with the entire band, including Phil Vassar, and got to hang out with them for a few hours! It was so much fun. I even got a free copy of the new C.D., which is great by the way!

On Friday we went to the Guinness Factory, and the famous Temple Bar street. I couldn't believe how large the Guinness Factory was! It was definitely cool to see, and they designed it in a way that it would be an interesting self guided tour. Temple Bar street was really cool as well, but we got the vibe that it may be cooler in the evening. We went home and napped for a bit, and came back that evening. We met a group of British guy that were throwing a bachelor party, for their buddy. That was eventful to watch. If you ever come to Ireland- there is always some great people watching to do! The people we met bought Brooke and I each a traditional Irish drink... a "hot whiskey". I was a little skeptical, but tried it and was pleasantly surprised. It is supposedly made with whiskey, water, brown sugar, lemon, and cloves.

Saturday morning was a lazy morning. We both walked around the city and through the shops, and then boarded the bus to come back to Galway. As much as I loved Dublin, I was so happy to be back in Galway.

This next week is full of classes, as tutorials are about to begin. I do have kyaking class this week as well. I have found some cool running paths near my apartment, which has made working out fun, and I usually get to run about 4 days a week. With all the walking we do here- that seems to be plenty!

No comments:

Post a Comment