Thursday, January 21, 2010

How to cross a street

Traveling to Ireland anytime soon? Be prepared- the only way to come home alive is if you know how to cross a street. Instead of street signals here they have these GIANT roundabouts with stop lights- probably the most confusing thing I have ever seen, and on top of that they drive on the opposite of the road. Nobody stops, and I'm pretty sure they speed up if they see a pedestrian in the middle of the road.

To begin crossing the roundabout you have to predict what each and every car is going to do- it's pretty hard when you are not psychic. Then once you see the smallest opening you better run! No one stops for you. They are very impatient drivers so if they are frustrated in traffic they will just start backing up and then decide to go the wrong way down the road. It's eventful. Two lane roads are much easier- but still no one stops, and this country does not believe in cross walks. One of these days I will post pictures and the proper diagram on how to cross the street! No need to worry about my safety though- I'm getting really good at it! Maybe I will even become psychic!?

Other than my crossing the street adventures, I have had all my normal classes this week. I went to health psychology last night- weierdest class ever. He begins by telling us what the main essay is about, and assigning advisers to help us write out paper. The adviser is also supposed to provide us with the reading material for a topic. Then the next slide that he posted stated that this would be the one and only class session. So for 3 credits..... I have to write a 10 page paper for that class and that's it, no lectures, no nothing. I find this school system a little odd.... but no complaints about one paper for 3 credits!

Brooke and I booked a tour yesterday for Sunday for only 10 euro! It's her birthday on Tuesday, so we thought we would do something fun to celebrate it this weekend. We are going on a tour of the Cliffs of Mohr, 2 castles, an abbey, a cave, and a pub. Should be fun!

We had a kyaking meeting last night. We are really excited because we are the only American's in the club, which gives us a chance to really get to know some Irish students. We have our first instructor session on Saturday, and the weather is supposed to be fairly decent that day- thank goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment