Friday, January 8, 2010

Adventures in Downtown

We had a free day so Brooke and I went into downtown Galway this morning. We explored the side streets as well as went down shop street. Shop street is the main alley way that is filled with shops, but cars are not able to drive down it. It's a cobblestone street full of bakeries, pubs, and small shops.

We walked all the way up to the river today that enters Galway Bay. Everything was frozen. Below, I've posted a picture of the frozen ice surrounding a ship. We stopped at a crepe' shop that was absolutely delicious. We made it a shorter trip though because it was only 25 degrees out. It's about a 15-20 minute walk to downtown, so it's really not too far, but the sidewalks are covered in black ice. We met a few Irish friends that we are meeting up with later this evening, and they are going to show us around the city.

Funny story about the picture of Roisin bar below. There is a girl on the swim team that I coach back in Bellevue named Roisin. Her mom approached me this summer because she heard I was going to Galway for the semester. I vividly remember her saying "don't tell Roisin this but she is actually named after a bar that I spent way too much time in, in Ireland!" So i had to go there and take the picture!

Tomorrow we are off to the Saturday market with Amber, one of my sorority sisters from home, who lives in Galway!

No comments:

Post a Comment