Thursday, January 14, 2010

Thursdays will be nice for me this semester because I don't have class. I got up this morning and went grocery shopping and did my first round of over priced laundry- it's 6 euro a load = $9.00 USD. The washers are tiny so I squeezed as much as I could into the washer.

Once Brooke got home from class we decided to just start walking, and create an adventure. Our friend Katie came with us as well. We headed towards downtown, walked along the waterfront, and discovered many things in our path. I have posted pictures of everything below. It seemed as though there were stone walls everyone where we went. We ran into a Presbyterian church located at the end of a street. We were surprised when we walked into the Spanish arch- a monumental symbol in Galway, that was built in 1568 to symbolize the good trade relationship that the Irish had with Spain at the time. We walked toward the the coastline, and saw a series of swans, as well as a flock of seagals being fed by a man. It was madness, but quite cool to watch. As we ventured out further we entered a park with a random palm tree. You seem to see those quite a lot around here. Apparently it is because when the gulf of Mexico has bad storms, the tail ends will whip up north into places like Ireland.

After the park we headed back towards the downtown area and went inside St. Nicholas' church. The architecture was absolutely beautiful, as well as the stain glass. I have noticed that every stone building here seems to have a bright red door, including the church. I've taken many photos of this, as I do like the style. We headed back to our flat just before the rain and the winds started in....perfect timing. It's was a gorgeous day to get out!

I have one class tomorrow and then it's the weekend. We are headed to the Burren on Sunday in County Clare for a day trip- I can't wait! The weather is supposed to be quite mild as well, so I'm happy about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment