Friday, February 5, 2010

Want to jump off a bridge?! (the kyak edition)

After my morning classes today I went to kyak club. It started out with our normal stroke practices... ect. ect....

Then we get to this bridge, paddle under it, and our guide stops up. He tells us to get out of our boats, and climb up onto the wall. Before I know it- I'm scaling a wall in my booties, wetsuit, and kyaking gear. Let me tell you- it was quite the experience. We then reach this grass area where we cross the street back over to the other side of the bridge. Even seen 10 people carrying kyaks and paddles in wet suits cross the street? Yep- we definitely stopped traffic. As I'm looking at this bridge we are informed that we are going to be launched off of it. It looked like it was atleast 15 ft above the river. Here's what runs through my mind:

Lauren:
"Are you kidding me??!?!"
"Okay how do I plot to get out of this, it's not like I can hide under my kyak and become invisibile"
"Maybe I will just walk with my kyak back to the shed" (which is about a mile- i'm sure that doesn't look weird of anything)
Being the typical American.... "Did I sign a waiver for this?!"
"What are our guides on?!"

(side note: Thank goodness Linfield got us international health insurance!)

Before I could blink our instructor, Jordan, of course grabs my kyak, and goes "whose kyak I this?!" I raise my hand with a few choice words going through my mind. He then holds it off the edge of the bridge and says "climb in!" Well Lauren, I guess you were out of options here. I scale the side of the bridge, climb in, and before I know it I get launched in to river. IT WAS AWESOME!!! Little shocking at first, but like the coolest thing ever. I want to do it again and again and again,so I might go back tomorrow just so I can do it again. Afterward we paddles back up stream and played water polo, kyak style, in the canal of the river- super fun! Minus the fact that my competitive spirit kicked in a little and I almost capsized- but thank goodness for the "slap stroke"- I survived!

I posted a picture of us below, suiting up. The only reason I look huge is because the boys didn't have the rest of their gear on yet- so don't judge me :) I have also created a diagram so that you may envision what I looked like going off this bridge.

Scoreboard:
Lauren 10
Bridge 0

No comments:

Post a Comment