Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sorry it's taken me so long to post everything from Paris. It's been a busy week.

Anyway, I landed in Paris early Saturday morning and met up with Chris. It was pretty cold, and it was actually snowing, but Paris was so beautiful it was hard not to go out and explore the first day. We walked through the Pantheon, a series of churches, and a few colleges in the Latin Quarter. I had noticed on my flight from Ireland that everyone was wearing Ireland rugby jerseys, and then I realized that the Ireland vs. France rugby match was on. We got some food that afternoon, and then went to a pub to watch the game. Unforunately Ireland lost.... badly....

The next day we did a lot of exploring along the river. We took the subway out to the Eiffel Tower. We were going to go to the top but it was Valentines day and it was a 4 HOUR WAIT. So we decided against that, and to come back later that night. We started walking alone the Siene River, and I felt as though every quarter mile there was some large landmark. I have never seen a more beautiful city. It was clean, and the architecture on every building was so incredibly intricate.

As we walked along the river we ventured off to a little cafe' along the river and got some lunch. The staple foods for the trip were banana nutella crepe's and mozzarella/ tomato and basil panini's. Not a bad life I must say! Later in the afternoon we walked through the Louvre, the national museum, Notre Dame, and the military museum. Later that night we had a great dinner at this little french restaurant. I had braised pork shoulder, and Chris had a really cool dish. It was lamb inside a roasted baby pumpkin with potatoes. Sounds kind of weird but I had a bite and it was delicious! After dinner we went back to the Eiffel Tower, and unfortunately the 3rd level (the one we wanted to view the city from) was closed. But we did get to see the tower sparkle at night!

The next day we went up to the northern part of Paris and saw Sacre Coeur and Monmarte. The church was beautiful, and it was meaningful to see since I went to one of the schools of the Sacred Heart (Forest Ridge) for middle school. It was built on top of this massive hill and is quite a site in the city. We then went over to where all of the artists paint and went through an art gallery with paintings from all of the famous French artists such as Picaso. We had tea at a little cafe and sat on the porch and watched the artists paint scenery and portraits.

The final day in Paris we went and saw the Arc de Triomphe and the tomb of the unknown soldiers. We didn't have much time this day because of our flight being in the afternoon. Overall, I would love to go back to Paris- especially if it gets a little bit warmer! I have never seen such beautiful architecture, and such a clean major city. The details within every building were absolutely outstanding.

This week I've been back into my normal grind at school. I decided to get a job here, and so I dropped off my resume at a few places this week, and got a job at a local pub called Kelly's doing promotional work. I started today, and although it was a little cold out it wasn't too bad! Everyone who works there is Irish and I'm excited to get to know them better.

I have posted pictures below of Paris. Unfortunately, my camera battery died on the second day. Chris took pictures the other half of the trip but I haven't been able to upload those off his camera yet. I will put his up as soon as I can but here are a few :)

No comments:

Post a Comment