Saturday, April 17, 2010

What a trip!

Sorry I haven't up dated this in so long! I just finished up an incredible 10 day vacation around Ireland with my parents. The first day I met them at the Shannon Airports at 6am, and we went back to the hotel for a bit to take a nap. Late that morning we started on a 5 day bus tour, and our first stop was out to the Cliffs of Moher. I had been twice before, but it was fun to show them the cliffs. The Cliffs are over 700 feet high on the western coastline of Ireland.

The next day we headed down to County Cork to see the Blarney Castle and the Woolen Mills. We spent the afternoon exploring the town, shopping, and toasted our first Guinness. We decided to save 20 euro and not kiss the slimy Blarney stone.... darn! That afternoon we drove to Killarney in County Kerry, which was absolutely beautiful!! That afternoon we went to for a walk down the streets of Killarney and went for a walk in the national park. When exploring the town my dad and I went to this old pub called Jimmy O'Briens. We were some of the only people in there. The bar tender, who happened to be the Jimmy O'Brien got talking with us, and before we knew it we were honorary bar tenders of the day (aka he let us take a picture behind the bar!). That evening we went out for traditional music at a pub up the street and then hit the hay.

On Saturday our tour took us through the Ring of Kerry. This is a loop of highway throughout County Kerry that is incredibly scenic. We viewed the Dingle Peninsula and may other sites in Ireland. We stopped at a bog village, which was reconstructed to display what life was like living in thatched cottages. On the way back into Killarney we stopped at the national park and got to view the Mossruck House. The weather was absolutely incredible that afternoon, I could have stayed in that park all day! That afternoon my dad and I went to a new pub where we watched the horse race and the rugby match... I can honestly say there is no better place to watch a sporting event just because of the people watching....

On Sunday we had a long drive to Dublin. On the way to Dublin we stopped at the Rock of Cashel, in which St. Patrick had visited during his qwest through Ireland. It was an incredibly intricate castle built in the 12th century on top of a steep hill. Down in the valley was an old abbey. Unfortunately we didn't get to tour the abbey, but it was quite a site from the Rock of Cashel. That afternoon we arrived in Dublin and I was able to show my parents Trinity College, Dublin Castle, Temple Bar, Saint Stephens Green Park, and Whelans Pub (where P.S. I Love You was filmed). That evening we went to the Arlington Hotel for Irish music and dancing.

The next day in Dublin we went to St. Patrick's Cathedral, Christ's Church, The Guinness Factory, and the Jameson Distillery. The St. Patrick's church was absolutely beautiful inside. From the stained glass windows, to the intricate tiles, tombs, and designs. The Guinness Tour was really well done, as it is incredibly active and you can even pour your own pint! We enjoyed our pint at the Gravity Bar, which has a panoramic view of Dublin. That afternoon my dad and I did the Jameson Distillery tour. They ask for volunteers in the beginning of the tour and I made my dad volunteer....as I knew what they would make him do.... At the end of the tour my dad had to try all 3 whiskeys infront of the group and tell them which one is best, if he said Jameson then he got a certificate.... and well he's coming home with a proud certificate!

On Tuesday we headed back to Galway and explore the city for the afternoon. I was able to show my parents the river that created my kyaking adventures, campus, town center, and my apartment. We spent the afternoon on shop street, and had a great dinner at a wine bar downtown. That evening we went to Taafes pub for live traditional Irish music.

On Wednesday we went up to Connemara and did a tour of the Connemara mountains, fjord, famine villages, and the Kylemore Abbey. Kylemore was built back in 1860, and is known as one of the most "romantic" castles in Ireland. We toured the castle, gothic church, and the gardens. You may recall in a previous blog that I took Emily there.... there are numerous pictures below! That evening I took my parents to the best fish and chips place in the world...McDonaghs! After dinner it was a beautiful sunset so we walked out to the beach.

The next day we west out to the Aran Islands. The Aran Islands are still very traditionally Irish. We toured Inis Mor... The largest of the 300 Islands. The island is inhabited by 800 people. It is one of the most pristine places I've been. Once we got off of the ferry we decided to take a 3.5 hour horse and buggy ride around the island. Our guide, Michael and his horse prince, took us up to Dun Anges, a ring fort built over 4000 years ago in 2000 B.C. at the top of the highest point of the island. The fort overlooks a 500 foot cliff. On the route out to the castle we got to witness the villages, farms, and intricate stone walls of the island.

On Friday we spent one last day in Galway shopping, enjoying the quaint cafes, and enjoyed our last Guinness's before my parents departed for the airport late that evening. They were supposed to fly out today, Saturday, but due to the volcanic eruption in Iceland they were unable to fly out, as all flights in western Europe are grounded. They ended up taking the bus back up to Galway for the day and I got to show them one of my favorite parts of Galway... the Saturday Market. We got fresh produce, and made dinner this evening, and said our goodbyes once again. They are going to attempt to fly out tomorrow but it looks like Monday is more probable. It was one great vacation, and definitely a vacation of a lifetime. I had an absolute blast and hope they did too! It was so nice to show them everything I have been living over the last several months.

This week I have a final on Monday and a final on Tuesday and then it's off to Italy for 6 days.... as long as I am able to fly out... keep your fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment