Sunday, May 9, 2010

The final chapter

So I'm in my last two days in Ireland. Yesterday I enjoyed one last Saturday market. I have really developed a relationship with the people at the market, and have enjoyed fueling a local economy. Every Saturday I go to the market downtown and buy my produce from the same stand, and then wander the market for the day. There are multiple craft shops, munchies, and creative foods. At the end of every market run I have to swing by my favorite doughnut stand, and pay my 70 cents for my cinnamon doughnut. This doughnut is unlike anything you have ever tasted before. I was talking to him on my last day he said on a busy weekend he can sell up to 1500 in one day! He is one a very sweet man who refers to me as "red" every weekend, and claims he is going to have to take out a second mortgage on his house now that I'm returning to the states.... hahaha. I must say, when I return to Ireland one day, I will make sure I'm in Galway on a Saturday.....

Today I hiked out with some of my good friends to an abandoned castle just outside of Galway. It was a 8 mile hike round trip! We headed out this morning, and adventured out to the castle. We enjoyed the afternoon exploring the abandoned castle and sitting on the river. The Menlo Castle is situated on the banks of the Corrib River, which runs all the way down to Galway Bay. In the pasture were two horses, who definitely enjoyed our company, as they came and stood next to us for the afternoon, enjoyed being petted, and even ventured into the castles themselves. It was a nice afternoon to spend with friends, reflect on memories from the trip, and see one last castle.

I plan on spending tomorrow packing and saying my goodbyes, and hope to make it back to the states on Tuesday evening... I'm just crossing my fingers the volcano doesn't cause any airport closures, as it has caused many temporary ones over the past week.

Pictures posted below :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you got to explore Meno, it's just so gorgeous there. Have safe travels back home Lauren!

    ReplyDelete