Friday, May 7, 2010

Clonmacnoise

Well with only 3 days left in Ireland, I'm trying to get as much in as I can. For months I have wanted to go out to these church remains from the 5th century called Clonmacnoise. I could never figure out how to get there because they were incredibly rural and could never find a tour company that went there. The other day I was walking down the street and saw a sign for a Clonmacnoise tour from Galway Tour Company. I booked my ticket and when I got there today I realized I was one of two people going on this tour, the other way Chris because I talked him into it :)

We got talking with the bus driver and he told me this would be an interesting day because they had never actually done this tour, and didn't expect people to sign up that fast. So, I got to pioneer the first Clonmacnoise tour. Our tour guide was hilarious, and kept saying "bare with me" as he had just studied all the information this morning in preparation.

Well the day ended up being great! It was about an hour drive out to the ruins. Clonmacnoise used to be the "mecca" or Ireland. It's situated in the literal middle of the island, and people used to make pilgrimages here. It all began in the 5th century when Christianity began to become increasingly popular and a group of monks formed a monastery on the grounds. There are 8 other churches on the grounds including the nuns church. It's crazy to think most of these were 1600 years old!

There are over 600 gravestones surrounding the ruins, and they date back to the 5th century as well. Outside of the park was an old anglo norman castle from the 11th century. It was on top of a motte (a steep hill built in the 11th century as a form of defense) and had decayed so much the some of the edges were hanging off the hillside. It's one of the most incredibly pieces of castle remains I have seen here. See my pictures below because I can't begin to explain how cool it was!

Tomorrow is my last Saturday market :( and I may go out to Athenry on Sunday to explore one last city. This trip has gone so fast, I can't believe I will be home on Tuesday evening, and be at work by Thursday morning. It's going to be very bitter sweet coming home, but I'm definitely excited to see my friends and family. Can't wait to see everyone soon!

I've posted pictures below :)

No comments:

Post a Comment