Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Youth Services Galway

Of the course of this trip I have spent a number of hours volunteering my time at Youth Services Galway, so I thought I would write a little bit about it. It's a free program after schools for under privileged children in the Galway area. Most of the kids come from the caravans of the area, which are the equivalent to trailer parks in the United States.

Usually they come to the community center directly after school for 2-3 hours, and we greet them with a snack. The we help them with their homework for about 45 minutes and then have snack time. I'm pretty good at helping them with their subjects except for Irish. It's funny because the kids always get the biggest kick out of things I say... for instance, I complemented a girl on her Hannah Montana backpack. She looked at me funny and then started giggling... I was a little confused and then she explained to me that it's called a school bag. They are always curious about what we call things in the states, and think that "recess" is the coolest word they've ever heard.

After homework and snack we usually do a craft...today we made Easter cards, they even made me one! Then it's usually on to the gym to run off some energy. We ended up playing basketball today. Overall it's been a great experience, it's kind of sad to know the backgrounds they come from, but as the same time I really enjoy helping them after school. Some days they are a little wild and other days they are super sweet, but it keeps it exciting I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment